Friday, February 12, 2010

I need more info about having a pet raccoon help?

I want to have a pet raccoon later in life. I need to know what it needs inside the house and what I should do to keep its hands off of shiny things.





Anyone had experience with a pet raccoon? if so tell me all about it.





Its legal in my state to get one. I live in Oklahoma. But I plan to move to Montana so I have to check with Montana law.





Also would the raccoon be more calm if I get it neutured?I need more info about having a pet raccoon help?
During my years, I have raised 3. Two were farm bred and one was a wild baby taken in after his family was killed. All were about 4 weeks of age when I took them home.





What I can tell you is the farm babies are very gentle when young but when they reach sexual maturity, they get very insistent and not happy as a house or cage animal. They can and will bite and they are very aggressive when mature.


I am missing the end of my middle finger on my left hand due to a mishap with Bandita. She wanted to dig in the garbage disposal and I wanted her to stop. I lost.





The little wild baby was never sweet like the farm babies and was never comfortable in a home or cage. I had to turn him loose or lose parts when he was about 3 months old. He just wanted to be back home.





Here is a site you might be interested in:http://www.brightenfarms.com/custom.asp?鈥?/a>





and


http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/raccoons/鈥?/a>I need more info about having a pet raccoon help?
Pet raccoons are a really bad idea. They never get truly tame, can carry a variety of dangerous diseases and can be very messy and destructive. I've even heard of one that was a pet for nearly 10 years and then one night just went into the owners bedroom and started biting and chewing on his face.





They're not domestic animals, so there are no legal vaccines for them. The risk of rabies and other such issues is much higher than with a dog or a cat. They need more time, attention and different care than the other animals and it can be tough to get it right.





My advice: you should really find another species of pet.
I'm not sure how a racoon would do as a house pet. When I was younger we rescued one who's family had been hit on the road. He lived outside, we had a ';house'; up in a tree for him, and he ';fished'; for crayfish out of a bird bath. He was free to leave when he wanted to. He stuck around for about a year and a half... was just like a cat/dog. Came when you called for him blah blah blah. But nature won as it usually does with undomesticated animals and he went his own way. As for keeping his hands off of shiny things... good luck that's what they are interested in.
I don't have any experience with raccoons but I can tell you one thing, it would be a lot of work! I personally don't think it's a good idea since even 'tame' raccoons are still wild. You should be sure you can handle it before you get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment