Friday, February 12, 2010

My dog ate it's food after a raccoon got in it. Is it possible for my dog to get rabies from it?

In our shed there's a barrel full of dog food. Over the past month or so this raccoon's been getting in and eating out of the barrel. I'm sure it's saliva dried out, but I know that rabies can be transmitted through saliva. Also, I need to know if I can tell if the raccoon had rabies from knowing that my dog hasn't gotten rabies from it.My dog ate it's food after a raccoon got in it. Is it possible for my dog to get rabies from it?
Finally, a non swine flu related question.





No, I'm pretty sure your dog doesn't have it. Rabies is usually transfered through bites. You should probably call animal control to get the raccoon out, and possibly change food. If your dog starts acting strange, take it to the vet IMMEDIATELY.My dog ate it's food after a raccoon got in it. Is it possible for my dog to get rabies from it?
this raccoon would be dead by now if it had rabies. You could set up a live trap near the food to catch him and take him in to be tested. Once he's been tested and everything is ok, then, take him to a wooded area several miles from your home, and turn him loose. Then, take your dog in and get him vaccinated for rabies. This will take care of the worry.
I don't think a rabid raccoon could live that long. It is extremely unlikely that your dog has rabies, especially if it is current on its shots. If it is not or you are unsure take it to the vet to get it current.
no cuz the only way for something to get rabies is if a racoon tht is not afraid of people bites u so no your dog does not hav rabies but if u r really worried consult the vet
don;t think so but it would be good to have it checked especially if it hasn't had its shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment