Sunday, February 7, 2010

Does anyone know about having a raccoon as a pet?

I was wondering if I would need a cage for a pet raccoon or if I could just let it roam around the house?Does anyone know about having a raccoon as a pet?
Yes,I do have a pet raccoon.. He is 3 years old..


and No.. you cannot keep him in a cage for 20 years.


My raccoon has the run of the house.. or whats left of it.. He sleep up in the kitchen cabinets.. He has tore up the rubber seal in the fridge.. so it no longer works.. He has tore up all my carpet and linoleum.. so now I have cement floor. He also tore the seal off of the stove and the dishwasher.. He flushes thing down the toilet and have to call the plumber... They DO beleive me after they see my raccoon, Meeko!


He is about 40-45 lbs.. and soo strong... He ( and all adult coons) can reach up and turn door knobs.. I HAD some of the locks ( the hook and eye locks) placed way up top.. but he got sooo mad when he couldnt enter that bathroom/my bedroom that he kept pushing and digging and finally got into the bathroom... He has ripped the trim off of the door way in his room ( because I locked him in his room one day... for a 'time out';


If you cage a raccoon... now, as a baby is fine. but as they get older.. they will rebel.. and they will hate your guts for keeping them in a cage.. and also.. they will go crazy.. to the point of banging their heads on the wires.. pacing and pacing. and they literally go nuts!!!!


so.. If you really want a pet raccoon.. you have to basically get everything out of ur house... everything out of cabinets.. ( child proof locks do not work)


all knick knack put away.. trash cans put outside.. no curtains.. no miniblinds... no dishes.. and no food!


yes, I eat out every single day!


but... I made a commentment... If I bought a baby raccoon... I would stick it out..


you cant get one. ... then give it up after so long.. they get attached to you.. and you only... giving them away only puts alot of stress on the raccoon..


and u cant set them free.. they have no idea what to look for in the wild.. and they will either be shot... or be killed by another animal.. or starve to death.


so... yes.. you have to let him/her run around the house.. you have to be the one to sacrifice everything to keep him happy..


also.. a vet willing to spay/neuter him/her..


or your in some deep trouble!


but if your willing to keep him in the home.. Like I have done..


My Meeko is my everything... Will I ever have another.. ??


NO.... but for now... He has it all.. and I mean it all..


he owns the house.. and he allows me to live here! LOLDoes anyone know about having a raccoon as a pet?
You can keep them as pets with a permit in some states, but they make horrible pets. If you have anything of value, get rid of it. They climb on everything, smash and tear open things to see what is inside, eat everything, and basically wreck the house.


As kits, they can be trained not to bite as hard, but will still play bite, which can draw blood.


If they came from the wild, there is also the possibility of them having one of numerous diseases that humans can get from raccoons.





And one more fact to persuade you: 80% of the young raccoons go completely wild again (and lose all their training) once they reach sexual maturity. Out of the 30 or so raccoons our zoo has had over the years, only 1 or 2 could be handled without scruffing as an adult. And all of these were captive bred and bottle raised from a week old.
Raccoon's are first and foremost a wild animal and although could make a good pet, can also ';turn'; on you without a reason other than it is a wild animal. They really don't need a cage - they can be trained to use a litter box, but if left alone, can and probably will destroy your furniture, raid your food cupboards and get into all sorts of mischief, so I would recommend getting a crate for him to be in when you can't keep an eye on him. And be careful, they are crafty devils and will be able to open up any cage that cannot be locked with a padlock!
I think you're asking for more than what you're bargaining for. I'm in Texas and you *really* don't want anything to do with a raccoon. They are wild animals and do not make good pets.
I live in Texas but I am scared to have a raccon I am not saying they are bad pets it's just I see the one's outside and they look pretty mean.
Um...... I think keeping a raccoon is illegal, and usually raccoons carry diseases, like rabies.
I don't know for sure but where we live (Texas) its against the law to keep a wild animal for a pet unless you have a special permit.


Racoons are very curious animals and really cute and fun when they are babies but then so are alligators...not good pets at all! They're wild animals and meant to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment